We usually pick the food item in the first go which looks pleasing to our eyes. Similarly, any bakery product without baking powder will never look appealing because the leavening agent won’t help the batter to rise while baking. So it is evident that baking powder becomes one of the most important ingredients.
If somehow you are not having it with you, you can make it yourself with the help of ingredients present in your kitchen already. So, here’s how you can do the same.
Ingredients You’ll Require:
Using cream of tartar:
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon of starch
Using lemon juice:
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- ¼ tablespoon of lemon juice
Using yogurt or buttermilk
- ¼ tablespoon of baking soda
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or ½ cup buttermilk
Method 1: Using Cream of Tartar
- In the very first step, you should have 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar. Take a whisk and start filtering the powders together thoroughly. Cream of tartar, when mixed with baking soda, reacts and forms the baking powder.
- If you don’t want to use it at the same moment, use an airtight container and store it. Store the container in your pantry and make sure that no moisture enters your container otherwise it could clump.
- To prevent your baking powder to form lumps and from hardening, add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and stir it properly.
Method 2: Using Lemon Juice
- Use 1 tablespoon of baking soda and add it to the dry ingredients of the batter. With the help of a whisk, start mixing the same in a mixing bowl.
- Take a separate mixing bowl and add ¼ tablespoon of lemon juice to the wet ingredients like eggs or milk. Make sure you keep it separate from the dry ingredients. Remember if you use lemon juice too much, it can be effective to the flavors of your baked items. Avoid it if you don’t want any citrus flavors in your baked goods.
- Now you have to mix the wet and dry ingredients according to your recipe. Use a mixing bowl to stir all the ingredients together. That way, lemon juice and baking powder combine and causes a reaction that makes baking powder.
Method 3: Using Yogurt or Buttermilk
- Again you need to keep the wet and dry ingredient separately in different mixing bowls. Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda to the dry ingredients. Using a whisk, thoroughly mix the dry ingredients with baking soda.
- In this next step, you can either use ½ cup of Greek yogurt or ½ cup of buttermilk. Both the ingredients are fermented and can react to make baking powder. Always try to use plain and unflavoured ones so that it doesn’t change the flavor of your baked items and also mix well with the dry ingredients.
- Since buttermilk and yogurt are already in the liquid state, thus, you need to reduce the amount of other liquid ingredients. Doing this will not make your batter runnier.
- Here you need to mix dry and wet ingredients together in a mixing bowl but according to your recipe. The dairy product and baking soda start to react and make baking powder. To get the best results you need to use the batter right away.