Those cute little and colorful macarons look so tempting and amazing that they can make difficult for anyone to resist. They say that we first eat with our eyes, thus, makes it compulsory that your baked goods should not only be perfect taste-wise but also look-wise. Macarons may not be the easiest thing to go for, but also not the complicated ones that you can’t even try it once.
Just a few points or tips to ponder and you’ll be able to create perfect macarons every time.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 1 cup or 100 grams of powdered sugar
- 1 cup or 100 grams of almond flour
- 2 medium free-range egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ cup or 55 grams of fine or caster sugar
- 2/3 cup or 150 grams unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup or 75 grams of icing or powdered sugar
How to make it
Always keep a formula in your mind ‘Slow and Low’ while making macarons. If you want to make macarons perfectly, a higher temperature can burn them quickly. Likewise, too little and you won’t get properly cooked macarons.
So here is a complete guide to how and at what temperature you should do the cooking.
First, you need to preheat your oven at 300-400° C. If you have an oven with a fan, try not to use it. Don’t get panic if you don’t have an alternative, you can still bring out some amazing results.
- Start with sieving icing sugar and almond flour into a big mixing bowl. Take out any lumps left and throw them out. Now mix both the ingredients together.
- Take another bowl and start whisking the egg whites and little salt until they make soft peaks. Now, slowly start adding fine sugar to it and keep on whisking until you get viscous and glossy whites.
Now take your first mixture of icing sugar and almond flour, gently stir it and mix. Make sure that your mixture become quite loose because this is the way how it works.
- Now, you need a piping bag with a 1 cm nozzle and you have to fill the mixture in it. Then keep a silicon mat onto the baking sheet. Then you have to pipe few small blobs onto the sheet. If are not okay with the piping bag, get a specially designed silicon macaron mat for you.
- To let the macaron mixture settle and break any air bubbles, you have to gently tap the sheet on the working floor for a few times. Let the sheet rest for around 20 minutes and you’ll see that the macaron surface will become smooth and shiny.
- You are done with the pre-heat step, right? Bake your macarons for 7-8 minutes. First, keep the oven door open to allow any steam to escape. Now close the door and bake for another 7-8 minutes. To check if they are done, just see they have become solid and little risen.
- Take a wire cooling rack and slide your sheet carefully onto it. Let them cool overall. Do the same or else you will definitely break them
How to make the Filling
- Take out the butter and start beating it until it’s fluffy. Now slowly beat in the icing sugar. Here you can even add some flavorings of your choice.
- Use the flat side of the macaron to cover it with a half teaspoon of the filling and take the other macaron and twist them to make a bond. Do the same with other macarons.
- There are two ways to eat them. One you can have those macarons immediately or if you can hold your cravings for at least a day, you can have them at that time. By the way, the second option is the best way to have them because this will make the macarons more chewy and tasty.